The Pinax Project, a premiere up and coming platform for rapidly developing Django sites, now lives on GitHub at http://github.com/pinax/pinax.
img http://img.skitch.com/20090331-tt68mja4fbn9yy3hsh59kye4c1.png http://pinaxproject.com
Cloud27 is an example of what can be done with Pinax.
The features overview is very impressive:
- openid support
- email verification
- password management
- site announcements
- a notification framework
- user-to-user messaging
- friend invitation (both internal and external to the site)
- a basic twitter clone
- oembed support
- gravatar support
- interest groups (called tribes)
- projects with basic task and issue management
- threaded discussions
- wikis with multiple markup support
- contact import (from vCard, Google or Yahoo)
- photo management
Having personally coded almost half of those features for GitHub (and other sites in the past), I’d say this is a huge potential time saver worth a look.